Monday, June 2, 2008

I'm Now Using Open Office

I don't know if I'd call this a recommendation, but I finally downloaded OpenOffice again.

If you've never heard of it, I'll tell you about it. It is comparable to Microsoft Office Suite, but it's much cheaper. How's free sound?

I used to have it on my computer, but ended up getting rid of it, when I stopped using it. It didn't have a grammar checker and I really need one of those.

I read about it on a forum and someone mentioned that they now had a language add on for a grammar checker. It does look pretty good for being new, but I haven't really gotten the chance to try it out yet.

There are a lot of things I like about Open Office. I like how they are constantly improving. The fact that it's free to download and use is great. I like the track changes and how it's compatible with Word's track changes. And a big plus, is that I can password protect my files.

When I am working on something that has more than one chapter, I like to give it its own folder. Then I open a different file for each chapter, plus I'll have one or two for research and notes. I have little children and while I don't let them "play" on my laptop, they do sometimes get access to it. I love that I can password protect the files in OpenOffice, so they can't open the files and start tapping away on the keyboard.

I am still saving all my files as .doc files, so that they can be sent as attachments and friends and others can open the files with Word.

No comments: