Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Software to Help Write Your Novel

I bought a piece of software awhile back, thinking that it may just be a gimmick, but I'd give it a try. It's called New Novelist and although it's fairly simple, I was very impressed with it.

The character study section really helped me to get a grasp on my main characters and keep all their attributes in an organized file system that is easy to refer to when needed. I also love the research section where I keep notes on websites and statistics that I find helpful.

It comes with a word processor that I do not use, because I love Open Office, but I sometimes copy and paste a chapter into their word processor just to hear "sam" read my words back to me. I plan to copy and paste every chapter into the word processor once I have finished the editing process, because there are some great extras to the program that will help to print it out properly for turning in my manuscript.

The program can be set up to help with any genre of writing and asks you a few simple questions to get you started. It's very easy to have multiple projects going at once.

There is a lot more to it, and I was pleasantly surprised at how useful it is. It was worth the small investment.

Check it out, here.

No comments: